• Finding Default Parameter Values with the AST

    As part of a big refactor on an internal module I’ve decided to add a big pile of Pester tests. The module was lacking them previously due to various reasons and this seemed like the perfect oppurtunity to add them.

    With my Pester test suites one of the things I like to do is have a bunch of tests for parameters and their various attributes that I want to ensure are correctly set. Previously I’d focused on the easy things like aliases, mandatory-ness, pipeline input etc. but this time I wanted to check for default values since we make use of them in a few places.

  • Module Worst Practices

    It has been a while since my last post so let’s get back on track with some “interesting” things I’ve discovered while working on another project for another blog post (or two).

    The project involves taking almost all the modules in the PowerShell Gallery and pulling all their help data into a graph database (Neo4j) and then doing some analytics on it. That’s still in progress but I thought I’d blog about some of the worst practices I’ve seen while doing this work.

  • Transforming Measure-Object output

    A user on the PowerShell Slack (available here and invites here) asked about getting specific information out of Measure-Object into a more usable PowerShell objects Their initial approach was to use Select-Object and calculatd properties to do this but I suggested a nicer way to handle it by using a short function and pipeline input.

subscribe via RSS