I’ve recently started working on a new project to build a Discord bot in Go, mostly as a way to learn more Go but also so I can use it to manage various things in Azure and potentially elsewhere. I figured it’d be useful to document some of this project to give some insights as to what I’ve done and why. First up was setting up the CI/CD pipeline for it so that I don’t need to worry about it later and can save myself a bunch of time when testing.
Inevitably when writing code there will be bugs, it’s just part of being human and writing code and especially true when the code gets complex. So when it occurs we need to track it down and fix it, which can be easy, but we often want to track down where the bug was introduced so we can figure out what caused it (especially for the more difficult to pinpoint bugs). As we’re all using source control this becomes easier with git and it’s extremely powerful bisect tool.
As part of an ongoing effort to improve code quality and consistency across the company we decided to apply the same principles to PowerShell code as we would apply to our C# and other code, since code is code no matter what language it is written in or who maintains it. With this in mind a few of us sat down many months ago and figured out what our style should be using the community style guide as a baseline and picking the things we’d like to apply. With these basic guidelines decided it was up to me to enforce these in some way, and Pester as my tool of choice.
subscribe via RSS